IHT implications of IPFDA settlement agreement

Does a payment under a consent order count as a PET?

Inheritance Act proceedings are in the process of being settled. Under the draft consent order, the defendant will pay a sizeable pecuniary legacy to the claimant. Date of death was over 2 years ago so can’t do a DOV.

My understanding is that this would be a PET by the defendant, but is there a chance it could come under s.10 IHTA as something that is not a transfer of value? Could it be argued that the defendant is making the transfer in consideration of the claimant ending/staying the proceedings, and therefore it’s not intended to confer a gratuitous benefit?

IHTM is silent on this, so that leads me to believe that it is a transfer of value and therefore a PET, but all views welcome.

Section 146 Inheritance Tax Act 1984 may assist here.

Paul Davidoff
New Quadrant Partners

The info in this link may help and also highlight other related matters that may need to be considered.

McCutcheon on IHT makes the point that a consent order (he only refers to it in the context of divorce) creates a liability imposed by law and that the discharge of it is not even a TOV. In figures, if an estate of £2m is reduced by imposition of a liability of £500k, the estate becomes a net £1.5m, but not by means of a disposition by the estate owner. When he pays up in cash (out of existing resorces or new borrowing) it may be a disposition by him but his estate remains £1.5m net. That is my own example as the tome itself does not provide one so any error is mine.

Jack Harper